Ponteix School lock down procedures
PONTEIX SCHOOL LOCK DOWN PROCEDURES
There is a high probability of fear or traumatic reaction among students in response to the potential circumstances surrounding these procedures. It is advisable therefore that parents, students and staff be consulted and briefed prior to any drills. However, all adults working in the building must be familiar with and trained in these procedures.
1. Call 911 Emergency Services or receive a call from the RCMP 625-6400.
2. A member of the crisis response team will use the phone system to provide clear and concise directions to alert students and staff to return to their classrooms and remain inside.
“ATTENTION ALL STAFF. WE HAVE AN EMERGENCY SITUATION. PLEASE SECURE ALL CLASSROOMS. THIS IS A LOCK DOWN”
Communicate this message to anyone outside of the school at the time of the lock down (during recess or physical education). (Contact buses for classes away on field trips.)
3. Inform Central Office (1-877-321-9200). The Director, Deputy Director and/or the Superintendent’s office of the lockdown emergency.
4. Classroom teachers:
· Make a quick sweep for students outside the classroom (gather stray students into classroom).
· Lock classroom doors and turn off lights.
· Demand SILENCE in the classroom, whisper when giving directions or responding to student questions.
· Move students to a corner out of view from the doorway, sitting in a group on the floor
· Keep students away from and below the level of windows, doors and other exposed areas.
· Create a list of missing/extra students, support staff or adults.
· Do not open doors for anyone
· Remain calm and wait for contact from crisis response team.
5. Students who are out-of-doors:
· Unless otherwise instructed, outside students will move to the designated alternate site, for our school it is the bakery. Staff outside at the time of lock down should direct the students and remain with them until informed that the situation is clear.
· Outside students should return to their class or designated classroom only when notified by administration or RCMP.
6. Students who are in a washroom or hallway at the time of a Lock Down are to proceed silently and with caution to the nearest classroom
· If unable to reach a classroom, lock yourself in a washroom stall with your feet on the rim of the toilet and wait for either an Administrator or Officer to escort you out of the school.
OFFICE/CLASSROOM COMMUNICATION PLAN:
7. If a class is alone at the time of a Lock Down, students are to respond “Teacher missing” when the crisis response team buzzes the room. THIS WILL SIGNAL A PROBLEM AND AN ADULT WILL ARRIVE MOMENTARILY.
8. Crisis response team will follow police directions with respect to ending the lock down of students.
ANNOUNCEMENT TO NOTIFY CLASSROOMS WHEN LOCK DOWN IS OVER
· The following message will be said twice over the phone page.
“The Lock Down has ended”
“The Lock Down has ended. ALL CLEAR.”